Friday, October 3, 2008

It's Pink Ribbon Month!

October - the month I love, not only because the trees are so beautiful and fall is at its best, but also the month that is set aside as breast cancer awareness month. This is the month set aside to remind us to do our self-breast exams and be aware of the very real disease called breast cancer. Seven years and a few months ago, I found a rather large lump in my breast while I was breastfeeding my son. I had it checked out and after a biopsy, was found to have breast cancer. The lump in my breast was nearly 5 cm - the size of a ping pong ball and a half. I underwent one round of chemotherapy, then mastectomy with reconstructive surgery. Afterwards, due to the size of the tumor, I went through another round of chemo and then radiation therapy. All-in-all, it was an ordeal that lasted for over a year. I still go for my yearly exams with my oncologist and gynecologist, as well as having my annual mammogram. If you haven't had yours yet and you need to, I urge you to please do so. I do admit I'm not the best at doing my exams, but I have a method where I have picked a day each month to do my exam and then I put a little pink ribbon on that day to remind myself to do it. It's not the most fun thing to do and yes, it's time consuming, but it's worth it to protect our lives from this dread disease. I hope that with breast cancer in the news and on everyone's mind this month, that you will take the time to do your self breast exams each month. Just pick a day and do it. And, don't fall into the trap of thinking just because there's no breast cancer in your family, you are free and clear... there's no breast cancer in my family either. It was a total fluke. Here's to good breast healthcare and good healthcare overall. Take care of yourself and remember people are depending on you to be around. Have a wonderful weekend and I'll be checking back in soon. Hugs - Brenda

7 comments:

ham4Him said...

Thanks sharing your story. It's a great reminder that no one is immune. I will do mine this week. Missed you Sunday. I hope Bailey is feeling better.
Love Ya,
Rhon

Marie Levite said...

I'm sorry to hear that you had to go through that. Thanks for sharing your story. It's an inspiration.

Kristii said...

Thank you for sharing your story Brenda! Sorry you had to suffer through that, but I am so glad you found it early! Thank you for encouraging me to check. I do have an appointment with my gynecologist next week, but I still should be doing more. Thank you for your inspiration!!

Melissa said...

This is just one of the reason's I love you girl! You are always watching out for the rest of us. Thanks for sharing your story - you are probably one of the bravest women I know. How's your family? What about Cade? Is he hanging in there??

~Nancy~ said...

Thanks for sharing your story Brenda.. This month really reminds us that life can change in one single second.. I hope you'll have a great weekend! Talk to you soon! XOXO

Brandi said...

I love the card you made, and thanks for sharing your story! I am so glad to have met you last night! Have a wonderful day!

Brandi said...

I know this is last minute I am having an open house tonight from 3-6 and tomorrow from 10-12 for my Mary kay business.

Hope to see you tonight!